Monday 16 January 2012

Bus Journeys and Critiques

Phew. I haven't posted in a while due to concentrating on an assignment for college which I just gave the presentation for today. It was on documentary photography where I researched people like Sabastaio Salgado and Simon Norfolk before heading to a restaurant to do a photo shoot on the chefs. It went well, I must say. The workers themselves liked the printed photographs, as did my class and tutors. I think it makes it all worth it when you make people happy with your work, especially for me. The fact that I could bring a smile to someone's face by simply taking a photograph of them makes the work so much sweeter. It's the reason I wanted to get into photography. It's a passion, I want people to both question my work but for it also to make them feel something inside. Whether it be happiness or anger doesn't matter to me. I will photograph both controversial things as well as pleasing images, as a photographer, my goal is emotion.

A link to my flickr where the photographs can be found:


Overall, quite a placing result I should think. Well, I'm happy with the results. It's now a case of waiting for the project to be officially marked to discover how well I did. Whilst I'm also on the topic of my class, I'd like to think that their is either something amusing about me, whether it be appearance or personality, I don't know. Maybe I'm being self-conscious about myself but I'm pretty sure when you continuously see people muttering to each other, throwing looks your way and then cackling like the wicked witch of the west, something is up. Now, I can't say for certain that they were even laughing at me, or something else entirely, but none of them cold meet my eyes for very long, so, hmmm.

It's another thing too, the fact that I've found very few people are willing to hold my gaze. I have been told that I have quite an unsettling look to my eyes before, and people find it hard to look into my eyes without feeling uncomfortable. What can I say? I naturally have a hard, cold stare, I'm not that kind of person though. I try to soften my eyes as much as I can, and smile a lot if I look at people, but still, I mean come on. You know me well enough by now to see past my look, so why does everyone seem so shy? It's not as if I'm very daunting, a day hasn't gone where I haven't cracked a joke in the class, so I'm known to be very open and friendly. I suppose it doesn't actually bother me that much, it's to do with them rather then me (I hope) so, I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing. But, I don't know. I like to know what and why things are going on around me, this is a mystery and I hate being kept in the dark. I'm nosy, what can I say. Besides, I like to call myself perceptive.



The bus. I've been getting the bus for years. To and from collge, work, high school,shopping, out and about. Anywhere I go usually hop on a bus. So, big, crowded buses usually don't bother me. What bothers me is the imbeciles on them. I don't understand what partof the human mind would want to make you be a right d--k to the bus driver. He's the bus driver for goodness sake, if you insult him, then he's going to throw you off the bus, or refuse to move until you leave. So, this afternoon, on a rather crowded bus, someone thought it would be amusing to start vandalising the windows on the upper deck. Needless to say, the bus driver had a go at him, and from what can guess (I was downstairs) the kid must have cursed and sworn at the poor driver, and carried on being a -insert swearing-.

Of course, the bus driver just shrugged this off and told the kid to get off, when the mouthy sod refused, the bus driver simply sat in his cabin for 20 minutes refusing to move. I found it quite funny when the kid eventually got man-handled and thrown off the bus by two, rather large, college students, although the while screaming and kicking like a small child. But still, I think it was unfair how the rest of us had to be late, and sit around because of one person. Not that I'm blaming the driver of course, I would of done the same thing as he did. But I seriously begin to lose faith in the future of humanity after watching kids like him. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment